| By Rachel Maskell
What Inspires You?
Lately I’ve been thinking about the things that inspire me. And it got me thinking about what inspires you? Really, what motivates any of us to be more authentic and to keep showing up in the world. It’s not always easy. Especially when it feels like the world is tilted and finding solid ground seems like a pipe dream.
I know from my own experience that I have moments of wanting to give up. It’s usually when my energy is low or I haven’t done anything creative to nourish myself. And it's during these times I know I need to turn to something that inspires me.
So I thought I would share a few things that get me out of bed in the morning, that keep me going when sh*t hits the fan, and what turns on my creative genius.
Inspiration awakens us to new possibilities by allowing us to transcend our ordinary experiences and limitations. Inspiration propels a person from apathy to possibility, and transforms the way we perceive our own capabilities. - Harvard Business Review
8 Things that Inspire Me
- My family - I know this sounds cheesy, and trust me it normally would not be at the top of my list but lately I’ve been understanding how important they are to me. How they keep me grounded and how invaluable our conversations are. Having a solid family foundation helps me to continue to want to be the best version of me.
- People who follow their passion - these are the movers and the shakers. The people that hear an inner calling and pursue it because nothing else will fill that itch. These are my tribe and every day I feel fortunate to meet more and more of you creative incredible beings!
- Pretty pictures - from instagram to art books on coffee tables I love them all! I like the photography, the colors, or simplicity. The way people choose to present information in a book or design a feed. It’s all an art and engaging with it often feeds me creatively.
- Design focused documentaries or film - These are my go to choices when I have a chance to be in front of the TV by myself. I love the storytelling aspect of something that could go unnoticed but they give it so much attention it becomes alive. The most popular example of this is Helvetica.
- Connecting with friends - just hanging out, chatting and connecting can be incredibly refueling for me. Sometimes I want to bail out from these social situations but I’m often so inspired afterwards I wonder what I was thinking. A good reminder that we should challenge ourselves to get out of our comfort zone on occasion.
- Sitting in the sun in nature - the sun on my face, the sounds of nature, these are nourishing. When I pause to take it all in, the warmth fills my body and reawakens my spirit.
- Music - because dance parties are amazing and essential. Good tunes can make a world of difference with my mood.
- Walking in fun urban environments - street art, hipster/modern design shops, style, good coffee...you know what I am talking about. You can find them around the world and they’re always cool. Those. I like being in those places. People are interesting.
Ok, so I shared mine. Now you.
What inspires you? Any you agree with or disagree? Share in the comments below or tag me on instagram @mumboss. Love to hear yours!